Re: anti-virus programs

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 04/04/00-04:03:40 PM Z

Sarah Van Keuren wrote:

> Forget polite. All of us Mac owners need to protect ourselves in case we are
> found worthy of infecting. I too would appreciate knowing what to do. I went
> to the website that was recommended by Francisco for those who have Outlook
> Express and downloaded the Vulnerable stuff but perhaps it didn't even land
> in my computer since it may have been just for PC owners....
>
> Worriedly,
> Sarah

Hi Sarah and all,

The more pertinent URL for Mac users is the one Gordon posted. In case
you missed it:

http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/stories/main/0,5594,2427832,00.html

I have Virex and never remember to check the Dr. Solomon site for
upgrade information, so was glad for the convenient one-stop place to
pick up an upgrade; thanks, Gordon. I also learned at the same place
about a dangerous virus that Macs *are* susceptible to, the Hong Kong
virus, along with a simple precaution to take to avoid getting it. Those
who think there is no "real" information available on the web are
missing a great deal.

What zdnet said, for those who can't or won't go to the above URL, is
that there is a shareware virus-protection program available
(Disinfectant or some such name) for download for Macs but it isn't
updated but about once a year, and if you're exposed to attachments or
other potential virus carriers, you should get one of the two or three
commonly-available programs that provide free upgrades whenever
necessary to deal with whatever's been going around. MacWorld recommends
Virex; the writer on zdnet prefers the Symantec Norton Anti-Virus
program, but says it doesn't make that much difference which you choose.
For the person who already owns Virex and was asking for advice, my
advice would be pick up the free Virex upgrade.
Katharine Thayer