Re: Kodak to re-introduce Super-XX

From: Sil Horwitz (silh@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/06/00-09:00:13 PM Z

At 2000/08/06 05:42 PM -0400, Jonathon Russell wrote:
>After reading all of the threads on Super XX and remembering, with great
>fondness, my days of shooting with it and running around backpacking a
>Deardorff 8x10 (much younger days, I might add), I came across a frozen
>supply of it. There are five boxes of 8x10 that have been frozen since
>the film was purchased new (8 to 10 years??). My question, is there a
>time limit on the "freshness" of frozen film? Sure would like to shoot
>with some of it.

Just defrost a sheet and try. If it were I, I would develop an unexposed
sheet (or half a sheet) and check the fog level. If that is within limits,
shooting a graduated gray (step) scale will give you a good idea of its
d-min, d-max and tones between.

I suspect there will be some amount of fog. A small amount of benzotriazole
in the developer could minimize that problem. Or it may be fogged beyond
possible use. The only way to find out is to experiment.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
teched@psa-photo.org
silh@earthlink.net