Re: Need tips for teaching Altphoto workshop

From: garimo (omirag@cruzio.com)
Date: 12/04/00-11:46:41 PM Z

>vacuum contact frame is available, and the Wyoming sun is very reliable.
>I'm thinking of beginning with cyanotype, and then going into gum
>dichromate. I may include a brief introduction to pinhole photography as
>well. I believe that making enlarged negatives and the laborious
>gelatin/formaldehyde sizing of paper are too intensive and time consuming
>for this setting, and that shortcut

Hi Cowboy Dave,
 One way to introduce the concept of making large negatives for a
introductory cyanotype workshops is to have students take some of their
b&w prints to a copy shop like a "kinkos" or or "mailbox etc." and have
a negative transparency made on a copy machine. Different machines (and
their operators) make for different qualities of transparencies.
Sometimes ya gotta' have a print or two made before the operator
understands what it is you want. Often color copiers work better than
the b&w ones, but still images can be printed from them. Maybe not the
best quality image, but the idea of what can be done with a higher
quality large negative will come across as the process and how it works
gets learned.
In the spring I gave a demo- of cyanotype printing for a high school
photography class. After talking and showing their instructor what the
transparencies should/could look like, she and her students took care
of making some before I showed up with the chemistry and my light box.
I showed the coating, printing, and washing, gave them the chemistry...
loaned them the light box, and let them print for a week, before
reclaiming my equipment. It seemed to work smoothly....

garimo