Re: Humidifying Box Construction and Happy Holidays!

From: Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 12/24/00-12:23:48 PM Z

FDanB@aol.com wrote:

> Any tips on building a box for humidifying hand-coated papers?
>
> I want to build one and would like to hear any and all suggestions with
> emphasis on the following points:
>
> For my current darkroom, I'll be limited to a counter-sized unit. (I'm
> still interested in hearing of other design ideas, however.)
>
> Is it best to build one around a commercially available humidifier that
> includes a humidistat? If so, is any additional fan needed for
> circulation assuming the cabinet has several shelves/racks for multiple
> sheets of coated paper?
>
> Any tips on cabinet material choices to avoid condensation and dripping?
>
> Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays to All!!
>
> Dan

Dan, I would not worry about drips an condensation, that is
a very high level of humidity. I use a humidifier with a
three speed fan and a humidistat. I also have a small 2
1/2" fan to ensure adequate circulation. The size of my box
is 4'x3'x3' approx. I would use a wood product. It will
hold some humidity. Unless you change your humidity often to
control individual print contrast, the wood will help
stabilize the RH . I would be happy to show it to you again.

I use string and cloths pins to humidify multiple sheets. If
you are limited on space, perhaps a unit that stands tall
like apartment washer/dryers instead of the more standard
side by side idea.

Hope that helps.
EJ Neilsen

--