Re: [Fwd: ASA of HIE]

From: Dan Koons (dkoons@pld.com)
Date: 02/01/00-09:39:52 AM Z

I apologize for adding to a long list, but, the defunct "Darkroom" had such
an article on making a IR meter. The problem was some of the parts listed
were no
longer avalible. There was a write up in the latest Darkroom Techniques or
what ever its newest name is,but involves modifying a meter. 4x5 IR is
toooo expensive for much bracketing. Any one out there know how to build a
meter? dan

At 10:58 AM 02/01/2000 +0100, you wrote:

>Cor Breukel wrote:
>>
>> On ISO rating for IR: there are almost as much different approaches as
>> there are IR shooters.
>>
>> It all depends on the combination HIE/filter/developer.
>>
>> I am not surprised about this high ISO; the #87 film is (almost) opaque,
>> and there is very very little light getting through it, which can be
>> read by the in-camera meter, hence the hughe "correction" on the speed.
>>
>> For what it is worth: my procedure: rate at the camera meter at 250 ASA,
>> with a 25 (dark red) filter mounted, bracket, and process in D76 1:1 for
>> 11 minutes at 20dgC..
>>
>> Cor
>>
>> "David J. Romano" wrote:
>> >
>> > I haven't read Theresa Airey's book, but I rate my Kodak HIE very
fast. I have a Canon A-1. I started using it because it has a non textured
film pressure plate. My Pentax ME Super's pressure plate has little
engraved diamonds which showed up on my film. (no anti halation backing) I
determined the ASA of the film by placing a #87 filter over the lens and
exposing an average scene at different ASA settings using the A-1's auto
expose setting. The camera's ASA dial goes up to 12800. I process in
HC-110. My ASA is about 11000.

>> > Before doing this I was using an infrared exposure meter. Its a little
hand made one using parts you can get at Radio Shack. I built it in college
from an article I found in a photo magazine. I needed it because I was
shooting my thesis with infrared film. My professor said "you have to
bracket alot beacaue you can't meter infrared light". That's ridiculous.
At 9 dollars a roll I wasn't willing to spend all my beer money on school
work. Incidentally, the ASA of 11000 on my Canon matches the reading on my
homemade meter.