Re: [Fwd: ASA of HIE]

From: Sam Wang (stwang@mindspring.com)
Date: 02/01/00-09:42:05 PM Z

>I apologize for adding to a long list, but, the defunct "Darkroom" had such
>an article on making a IR meter. The problem was some of the parts listed
>were no
>longer avalible. There was a write up in the latest Darkroom Techniques or
>what ever its newest name is,but involves modifying a meter. 4x5 IR is
>toooo expensive for much bracketing. Any one out there know how to build a
>meter? dan

Eh yes. Sort of.

I put a multi-meter on the cheap Radio Shack photo cell. Covered the
cell with the 87(?) opaque IR filter. Bracketing from my guesses, I
shot a roll of Kodak HIE and noted the settings on the meter. After
processing, the notes were used to evaluate the negatives and
"calibrate" the meter. That's it. It works well. I did that with the
Konica IR also. No problem. Easy as pie.

BTW, I also put half of a ping-pong ball over the cell to convert it
for incident reading.

And yes, 4x5 HIE is way too expensive to bracket, but shooting in
bright sun you don't need to. Also, I use the 70mm aerial IR by
reloading it in 10 ft lengths, which gives 37 exposures per roll, but
that's another story.

Sam Wang