Re: Digital Pt/Pd tones continued

Nick Makris wrote:
> ... I NEVER EXPERIENCED ANY ON SCREEN POSTERIATION WITH ANY OF THE TEST
> IMAGES.

Two things to consider:

A) A color image is going to have millions of colors and likely look
great while a single gray will have only 256.  The guad or tri gray inks
will surely help and could provide millions of grays.  With my HP
DeskJet 970, I in effect have two inks (yellow and magenta) as the cyan
is transparent to exposing Pt/Pd and the black is in a separate
cartridge not part of the Ret ink deliver system.  Does anyone know of a
three gray cartridge with the same head to utilize the HP Ret system?

B) Anything printed on screen, ink on paper, or on whatever (and other
photo processes) will not have the same characteristics as a Pt/Pd
print.  The subtle posterization must be observed on a Pt/Pd print.  The
Pt/Pd print has the ability to distinctively discriminate subtle
variations in tone as it is here that the number of tones becomes
critical.

Garet Denise wrote:
> ... Seems like the 'proof of the
> pudding' would be looking at the final print from a negative
> and that changes between these two stages could
> significantly affect your evaluations

Which I believe is totally correct.

> I feel this suggests the culprit, in most posterization problems,
> is related to how the printer reacts to the input.

Partly, perhaps, but I feel confident that printers can do the job.  The
data must be collected in the first place.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/