Re: staining in the center of a ziatype (long post)

Jeffery,

> If you were using Crane's (cover-90), maybe try Arches Platine, Bienfang
> 360, or Crane's fluorescent white.  All these papers are brighter than
> Crane's (cover-90).  Each paper will provide a different look.

I'll put those on my list.

> > > Another thing to check related to the highlights is if the print has
> > > been fully cleared.
> > What are the parameters to insure the print has cleared? ...
>
> A clearing test and procedures can be found in my Guide on my web site
> (link below).

Okay I'll review that.

> First, what you call a Zia is a rip-off of the Zia name given to one of
> the many Pt/Pd process variations.

> Second, you can believe anything you wish.  Read Chapter 3 of my Guide.
> To get all of the black available one must give enough exposure to the
> print.  For optimum results, the negative should be made to accommodate
> the materials used in printing.  Anyone can make an inferior print, only
> a master can intentionally create an inferior print.

Good there is still hope then that I may make an acceptable print one of
these days.

> Simply coat 6-6, 7-7, 8-8, 9-9, 10-10 and determine where
> any improvement ceases.  If the additional liquid becomes a problem to
> coat, then either increase solution strengths or quasi muti-coat (in
> Guide).

That sounds simple enough. Unfortunately for me I won't be able to print for
at least 2-3 weeks due to upcoming travel. I'll put that on my list as well.

> For calibration purposes yes.

> > P.S. I don't know if it will help but I can put some of these prints on
> > web page for examination

But once print nervana is reached one can print by the numbers to make
duplicates. Right?

> This can demonstrate your subject mater, but will NEVER show what the
> prints look like.

I was only suggesting that the clearing or lack of clearing may be visible
with a scaned image.

Thanks,

Don Bryant