Re: Seeing

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 05/04/00-06:16:27 AM Z

Marty,

This is puzzling and certainly a worry. Are you focusing with the plain
groundglass, or with a so-called focusing aid? I ask because astigmatism
could interfere with the use of a split prism. I have astigmatism, have
always needed to use reading glasses (the opposite of nearsighted) and
at 50 have been wearing bifocals for a while now. However, I find I can
focus even an 8x10 view camera just fine without glasses at all: if you
find the point that looks least unsharp, the camera is focused. This
should work with a 'blad too. Though I don't think you were told
correctly that the apparant distance of the 'blad finder is 7-8 feet.
With the prism, I have to use the reading, not distance, part of my
bifocals to get the clearest view of the hassie groundglass. 20/20
vision doesn't preclude the need for glasses to see close details at
your age. Starting around forty, the eye's ability to bring close
objects into focus deteriorates and needs diopter help. As example, a
pair of glasses I had made twenty years ago to let me use both eyes to
view a 4x5 groundglass from a distance of 4" are now a very nice pair of
reading glasses.---Carl

--
Website with online galleries and workshop information at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cweese/