Mapplethorpe's platinum prints

From: ARCHIVAL PRINTS (archivalprints@home.com)
Date: 11/04/00-10:37:58 AM Z

Mapplethorpe was also alternative in that he exhibited many of his
images printed in platinum. I have the book that accompanied his
Whitney Museum exhibit (1988) on my 'platinum' shelf sandwiched between
a monograph of Frederick Evan's cathedral images and Kenro Izu's 'still
life'. So there he rests, in tame company, a man among men.

Whatever one thinks of his images, we who work in alternative processes
owe him (and Irving Penn, Albert Watson and Mary Ellen Mark) a debt of
gratitude in that he (and they) contributed to the mainstream awareness
of and resurgence in platinum printing we enjoy today.

By the way, who printed Mapplethorpe's platinums (Martin Axon?).
Who printed Mary Ellen Mark's platinum portfolio 'Indian Circus'?

Regards from Toronto, Canada
(the land of diversity and tolerance)
Mark Nowaczynski