Re: Buxton paper

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/05/00-12:49:21 PM Z

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Amanda Lane wrote:

> You can order the paper from Jon Purcell, 15 Rumsey Road, London, SW9 OTR.
> Telephone: 44 (0) 207 737 5199. A small paper maker in France makes the
> Paper and you would need to make an arrangement with Jon Purcell and
> negotiate a minimum order and then he will sell the rest. Maybe 150 to 200
> sheets (a guess). I spoke to them earlier this year about getting a batch
> made, however, I had problems clearing the paper for the develop out pt/pd.,
> so I did not pursue this. It is expensive, however I think if you are making
> a large enough order to warrant a new batch being made then I believe the
> price would be lower than the £5 to £6 a sheet that it was sold for in the
> shops.

There have been several threads about Buxton since "the old days" when
Mike W. was on the list & first mentioned it. For what it's worth, I
repeat my own experience:

I brought some back from England in, as I recall, 1997, bought from
Silverprint in London, cost about $8 per sheet, plus VAT, and I cannot
forbear adding, I never did get my VAT back from the parties responsible.
But I digress.

Then NY Central tried to import a batch, but Purcell proved, let's say,
VERY laid back. It was too difficult, ie., nigh on to impossible, to get
their attention, and the transaction faltered. Perhaps they've reorganized
their business plan since then... but I suppose I digress again.

I don't print platinum, but tested the paper extensively for gum, also for
cyanotype. I've said several times that if I could be assured of a steady
supply, I'd make a big deal of Buxton for gum -- but only one-coat gum ! I
have a raft of tests showing that (for some reason, don't ask me why)
color and tone in one coat of a given mix are visibly more intense on
Buxton than on some 8 or 10 other standard papers -- but only on one
condition: That is that you have NOT added an additional size.

You can preshrink (which of course changes the scale and effect) in case
you have to do a few touch ups, but gelatin is death to Buxton. (It's
sized as I recall with Aquapel, which did NOT work when applied as a
surface size to ANY paper. Don't ask me to explain, I only work here.) I
tried a starch size instead, but that was just as worse in its own way.
Which is to say, Buxton requires/can tolerate no added size. Which makes
it a blessing, of course, but also a problem if you need more coats,
because it does progressivly take on pigment stain with additional
immersions.

Buxton itself, unlike most commercial papers, has no gelatin size, either
internal or surface. There was some reason I forget now why that's better
for platinum, the effect for gum was no doubt serendipitous. But by the
time you would get to, let's say a third coat in gum (I allow a second for
minor touch-ups) the advantage is gone, might as well print on Magnani
Pescia, or Fabriano Satista (both wonderful, by the way).

Also, tho Mike says to the contrary, the Buxton has no wet strength -- I
suppose it's OK for small platinum prints that you only wet once, but for
gum that can have long soaks & more than a tad of handling, and almost
certain to be larger -- you're likely to lose corners unless very careful.
Also, it doesn't have a lot of *body,* so re-register in large size is
unlikely, unless fastened to substrate, which has its own problems.

Strangely, in the limited tests I did with Buxton on cyanotype, though one
would think the iron-based process would perform similarly to the
iron-based pt/pd, and be similarly outstanding, it wasn't. As for instance
samples "S" and "T" on p. 37, current Post-Factory (#5) -- no better than
many other papers. However, another curious finding: Almost alone among
papers, the Buxton gave a notably better print in cyanotype when
heat-dried than when air dried. So, again, go figure.

But if anyone wants to get together to import some Buxton to US at a price
below the nat'l debt, let me know. The fact that there have been
re-makings is excellent news. It means at least the scarcity factor may be
laid to rest. David Aldera at NY Central mentioned it again a while
back... I'll remind him.

PS. Still wondering how come the papermaker, sole practitioner as I
recall, left bonnie England for France. But I guess that's another
digression.

Judy

| Judy Seigel, Editor >
| World Journal of Post-Factory Photography > "HOW-TO and WHY"
| info@post-factory.org >
| <http://rmp.opusis.com/postfactory/postfactory.html>

s email address.