Re: Three-color gum prints

From: Rod Fleming (rodfleming@sol.co.uk)
Date: 09/07/00-05:23:24 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
at
> some $2200 for 11x17" (including transparency top) should be at least
> intermediate.

Nope, that's pretty well entry level. Ref my last post, you have not begun
to appreciate the truly awesome amounts of money that _real_ quality
scanners cost. $30,000 (yes thirty thousand dollars) would not freak out a
buyer in this market.

As I said, if you want maximum quality, build up a relationship with a
decent repro house and let them make the capital repayments on a high end
scanner. Photographers just _do not_ make enough use of this sort of kit to
make a really high quality flatbed scanner a sensible purchase for them.
Best plan for a photog wanting a serious scanner on a budget now would be to
try to find a used Linotype/Hell or Scitex drum scanner- these are about the
size of a Ford Escort but they do do the biz.

Regards

Rod