Re: Three-color gum prints

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/07/00-01:27:39 PM Z

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000...

Cor said,

> > ..I do not believe that is true; we just acquired a Nikon coolscan Ls
> > 2000 slidescanner which is capable of "hard & real" 2700 dpi, and I read
> > a review that there are scanners even capable of around 4000,..bit too
> > expensive though. For flatbadscanners I do not know..

Keith said,

> Both the Polaroid SprintScan 4000 and the Microtek ArtixScan 4000 will
> give you 4000 dpi scans of 35mm slides and negatives for about $1500
> retail..

In case I haven't mentioned the virtues of this list lately, please
consider them mentioned -- with my thanks.

Needless to say, I'm embarrassed to have taken the word of tech support
(*any* tech support !) at face value. But he was so FERVENT ! It's
possible the man was referring only to flatbed, which was the scanner
under discussion (UMax Powerlook 2100 XL). Whether or not it's REALLY
professional level, it's marketed by the professional division -- and at
some $2200 for 11x17" (including transparency top) should be at least
intermediate.

A quick flip through "scanner" folder didn't turn up data on the slide
scanner, Polaroid Sprintscan 35 Plus, bought Feb '99 for about $1200, but
I'll look some more. In fact I have a telephone rendezvous with Polaroid
upcoming (AGAIN !) because (after a series of other mishaps) suddenly the
*&^%$# thing won't chain. The impression I have incidentally (from my own
experience & commentary of others) is that the hardware is fine, but the
*software* sucks (or the 2 versions I've had did -- maybe the latest
downloadable is better).

For example, nobody at level *two* tech support last year knew that,
although the menu offered scanning in b&w, the software wouldn't do it --
hence their conclusion that hardware was defective, sending me a
replacement, and yatatyatatayatata for months, til we were like family.
Finally, by accident, this little old lady figured it out all by her silly
self. (It was unclear whether they had the sense to be embarrassed.)

> Kodak has just released a new 35mm format, 3600 dpi scanner for $1300, with a
> 3.6 dMax range, that will batch scan up to 36 slides..

> FYI, I use the Polaroid SprintScan 400, go it about a month after Polaroid
> released it, last summer.. I love it..

Obviously Keith, you inhabit a plane where if you praise computerware it
doesn't immediately go belly up. I wouldn't dare...

> Judy, being just outside the city myself, if you want I can do a
> sample scan of a neg for you with the SprintScan..

that's a very kind offer for which I thank you -- but sad truth is I've
GOT to get this under control myself -- tho that may require some kind of
*personal* upgrade... Not that I don't have the intelligence, I like to
think, but the incoherence and dysfunction I find in the software is so
annoying it, um, makes me lose patience. I swear, I could plan a better
"work path" on the back of an envelope (in eyebrow pencil).

Well, that's another topic... on this topic, thanks again to all. Hard
data may follow.

Judy