Re: Back-saver suggestions?

From: Robert Hudyma (rhudyma@attcanada.ca)
Date: 09/14/00-05:42:30 PM Z

At 05:18 PM 9/14/00 -0500, you wrote:

> I'm not very familiar with other products, ancient or modern, that are
>out there. Can anyone suggest lighter 4x5s and smaller lenses that would
>satisfy? I'm not hiking mountains, but a lighter system that I can carry in
>a shoulder bag would make traipsing the streets of Philadelphia a bit
>easier. I don't need extensive camera movements, but I'd hate to give up all
>front rise/fall and rear swing and tilt. I have medium-format cameras, but
>I'd like to keep using 4x5 if I can get the weight down.

Just a thought, why stress your back when you can get a pack with wheels
(or set of luggage wheels) and pull it around wherever you go on the
streets? Or, at the very least get a back pack with a frame since it will
evenly load your back and not pull or twist it. I used to travel around the
world with my 4x5, business and personal luggage and would not have made it
without these wheels.

A couple of things to keep the weight in 4x5 (but not the cost!) down:

-Carbon fiber tripods,
-Pack small lightweight lenses: 65 & 90 Angulon; Some of the Goertz lenses
are small too, and many more are available,
-Pack a Polaroid/Fuji/Kodak film back and use the ready-load style of films
(greater expense, but less dust and weight)
-Consider a light weight 4x5 (maybe Canham metal 4x5)

Also consider the flex-style medium format options. Very interesting
reading at:

Review of Arcbody:

        http://www.luminous-landscape.com/arcbody.htm

User information on Flexbody: