Re: Daguerrotypes

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 09/28/00-12:32:43 PM Z

David,

As a working daguerreotypist, I think I can answer some of your questions.
First, there are contemporary daguerreotypists who
are using the process you read about but under safe conditions with
modern techniques and methods. All of the necessary chemicals can be
purchased but because of the dangers, you must be properly trained
in order to use them. You cannot buy the equipment necessary. You must
build it or have it built. I do not believe that this is a process
one can learn by himself. You need to learn it directly from a
daguerreotypist. George Eastman House has courses in daguerreotypy.
You might want to read my article about such a course in the
Post Factory Journal No. 4. Also take a look at my web page:
           www.schrammstudio.com
to see some contemporary daguerreotypes and some links to more
information such as The Daguerreian Society.

I will warn you ahead of time that this is not an easy process
to master. It is also very expensive and can be extremely dangerous
if you don't know exactly what you are doing. However, in my opinion,
it is all worth it since the images are beautiful. Like platinum,gum,
etc. you must see them in real life to appreciate them. In my opinion,
if you can make an excellant gum or platinum print, you can learn
to make a daguerreotype.

Bob Schramm