Re: to mat or not..

>Recent articles by master photographers who write into our photo journals
>have give great accolades to this.  In fact, Vestal described a show of
>photographs displayed in box frames where the pictures were presented as
>artifacts in themselves.
>
>I too have that feeling about the whole piece of paper as the photograph.
>
>S. Shaprio, Carmel

I too believe that the whole piece of paper is the photograph. With time
the meaning of virtually all photographs change by a process I will call
historial distancing. The ocassion for the creative act with time becomes
unrecognizable and we accept the photograph as an artifact, a relic of
time. Susan Sontag wrote something about this in her book Susan Sontag on
Photography. She said, "The particular qualities and intentions of
photographs tend to be swallowed up in the generalized pathos of times
past."

The lesson here is simple: think long and hard, and twice, before leaving
punch registration marks on the borders of your prints.

Sandy King