Re: to squabble or not... about safety

Gee, it was just a year ago that this list was having this very same
discussion about warnings and fears of dichromate. I didn't know much
about chromiums at that time because I had never handled and or done
any gum printing. But when I actually read up on what I could find on
the internet, my fears of wash water from a photographers studio was
reduced to nearly nothing, in comparison to the amounts of chromium
pollution that I may have come in contact with elsewhere in my daily
life, like by breathing the air at my local kinkos... like how much
toner dust containing chromium is in the air in there? should I be
wearing a dust mask when I go to kinkos? after all it is the breathing
of the dust that seems to be the most dangerous. And how much am I at
risk when I use spray paints? I know I can smell them when I use
them... and how much chromium is left in the dye of my new green
tee-shirt? Really those fears could make me crazier than I need right
now...

 I don't know what school others went to, (but in the past ten years)
I've  always told chemicals have hazards. Maybe it's the folks who went
to school in the 50's or before where every one was fed the American
Dream, where life is beautiful and there were no risks, and now feel
lied to that are having a hard time trusting that others handle photo
chemicals with due care. I'm sorry, you WERE lied to...Really we do
have to balance life risks, and you too should have been told there are
dangers that need notice. In the schools around here, gloves and masks
are promoted and provided. I always tell people not to stick their
fingers in the chemistry, " 'cuz you're likely to be bitting your nails
later".

For me, I wouldn't fear a gum printers studio up stream from me...
because I think I am at much greater risks elsewhere. But I'd would
think the gum printer pretty lame if he puts his unprotected hands in
his wash water or didn't were a mask when mixing his chemicals,  and
I'm very glad the local tannery(famous-ships leather worldwide) is
located several miles downstream! and I'd not want to live in any state
within miles of a steel producing mill... that risk seems too great to
me at this time... but then they would think me unreasonable or
foolish....

garimo

My chromium post from last year......