Re: did I overdevelop?

shannon stoney wrote:
> I was going by the guidelines in Dick Arentz's book, which says that if the
> subject brightness range is 7, to expose Tri-X at 250.  I have calibrated
> my camera, and I know that that lens shutter speed is accurate, so that
> normally, when making a negative for silver printing, I shoot Tri-X at 400.
> Also when shooting color film I can use the manufacturer's film speed.
> So, I assumed that I could use Arendt's times in the appendix of his book.
> I wonder if that was a wrong assumption?

Why not give a look at Chapter 3 of my guide (at link below).  This
provides an exercise to determine your own film exposure and development
time for the materials and equipment you are using as well as your
personal technique.  If you decide to use someone else's exposures and
time, then you're stuck with those results.  It is not that much trouble
to do it yourself.  And do it yourself for both Pt/Pd and Cyanotype as
they will likely differ.

It is curious that no one has reported on this list as to what they have
thought of this rather straight forward exercise after going through it,
especially after I have mentioned it many times.  There is no charge for
personal use of my guide, but if one feels so inclined to pay for
something, they can send me one of their prints.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/