Re: preshrink was register p/negs

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/06/01-09:35:37 PM Z

> Peter Fredrik wrote:
> > Yes I did only evaluate in one direction but this did not seem to make any
> > difference to the final results I got from the tests on paper from
> > differing sources, as I had no way of knowing which way the grain was
> > running, ...

But if it only shrinks in one direction & yr 4 inch side is the *shrink*
direction (you say it's not known which) then you don't know what is
happening, because that's too small to measure. I found it took a
*minimum* of 15 inches of paper to detect shrink.

Jeffrey Mathias wrote:

> Has anyone tried laminating the paper negative so as to render it
> impervious to moisture. Some of the laminating films are very thin.
> But perhaps better, select a paper to print on that has the same
> expansion characteristics as the paper negative.

I'd appreciate your mentioning type and source of "some of the laminating
films", but I think most things do expand & contract with humidity and
temperature, like wood, concrete, metal -- maybe not hard plastic, but ...
soft plastic ???

Judy