Re: cyanotypes

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 02/25/01-11:24:24 AM Z

Judy wrote:

>> Also: if I figure out how to develop a negative for cyanotypes, will the
>> same negative also work for palladium printing?
>
>It should. I think the negatives are or can be same/similar, and there's
>in any event a fair amount of latitude in cyanotype by paper choice (more
>I believe than in palladium). So you might start with a negative targeted
>for palladium and then choose cyano paper accordingly (see cyano "contrast
>controls," p.35, also papers by contrast and surface for cyano. p.39-40).

The problem is, having never made a palladium print, I don't know what a
negative targeted for palladium would look like. My ultimate goal is to
make platinum/palladium prints out of 150 negatives that I have not yet
processed, and I thought I would start by doing some experiments with
cyanotype just to get the coating thing down, etc. But maybe I should not
process all those negatives on the basis of the cyanotype "proofs", but
rather, play with cyanotypes a while with other negatives, then work out a
development time for palladium separately.

I am not planning to do the new cyanotype thing because of the extra toxicity.

--shannon