Re: large format negatives

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 01/04/01-06:58:01 AM Z

Marc,

Either tube or tray processing can be used for ultra-large negatives. My
choice is to develop stacks of film in open trays. It sounds a bit scary
but is easily learned with a bit of practice. A Jobo processor can be
used, with print drums, but this risks streaking with many
film/developer combinations. It's a bit too complicated to deal with in
a quick email message and in fact I may do an article for _PHOTO
Techniques_ in the near future that will deal in detail with sheet film
processing at all sizes. Meanwhile, try a web search for sites dealing
with large format photography and you should turn up quite a few sets of
instructions for sheet film development. Just don't take any one set of
instructions as the only, or even necessarily best, way to proceed.

_PhotoVision_ magazine's recent issue had an article on processing
ultra-large negatives, by Burkhardt Kiegelund. It should be very helpful
if you can find a copy in Belgium.

---Carl

--
Website with online galleries and workshop information at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cweese/