Re: PC GERE

From: Lukas Werth (lukas.werth@rz.hu-berlin.de)
Date: 01/25/01-05:07:52 AM Z

At 05:39 25.01.01 -0400, you wrote:
>DEAR DAVE, CRAIG, AND LIST,
> I, too, saw the show of Gere's prints at Howard Greenberg's gallery a
>few years ago. Gere is a Buddhist and speaks Tibetan. It is amazing how
>much a little respect for, and sensitivity to, a culture can do. It just
>takes some time and effort which many in the fast lane are not willing to
>devote. Perhaps this is the theme behind the "RWG" label.
> I recall finding that Gere seemed very intimate with the subjects but I
>also recall not being that impressed with the photography itself. I think
>my impression was "great prints of pretty good images". I most sincerely
>applaud his intentions and efforts though.
> CHEERS!
> BOB KISS

I have not seen Gere's images, but as creating visual representations of
other cultures is also among my prime interests, just a short remark:
the one thing which makes me beginning to feel a bit uneasy is this
emphasis of Tibet. Now, the Titetian people and their culture are certainly
oppressed by China, but so are many people on this earth by other nations,
and these do not get likewise attention of Hollywood actors, directors, and
their ilk.
This fashion fad depends on a highly unrealistic picture of Tibetian
culture (pacifistic, self-sufficient, only bent on philosophy and religion
in union with nature, thereby evoking green ideals). Tibet is, the Dalai
Lama notwithstanding, a nation which certainly has many virtues, but also
its own problems and shortcomings, as do have every other people.

Lukas