Re: PC GERE

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/25/01-11:17:49 PM Z

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Lukas Werth wrote:
> I have not seen Gere's images, but as creating visual representations of
> other cultures is also among my prime interests, just a short remark:
> the one thing which makes me beginning to feel a bit uneasy is this
> emphasis of Tibet. Now, the Titetian people and their culture are certainly
> oppressed by China, but so are many people on this earth by other nations,
> and these do not get likewise attention of Hollywood actors, directors, and
> their ilk.
> This fashion fad depends on a highly unrealistic picture of Tibetian
> culture (pacifistic, self-sufficient, only bent on philosophy and religion
> in union with nature, thereby evoking green ideals). Tibet is, the Dalai
> Lama notwithstanding, a nation which certainly has many virtues, but also
> its own problems and shortcomings, as do have every other people.

OK, fools rush in -- I must add that Lukas's photographs of Pakistan are
among the VERY few of the genre I've seen that seem to go beyond
travelogue (or cookie-cutter exotica). I don't know about his bank
account, but (at the risk of seeming self serving) note that a couple of
his pictures (& process notes) will be in Post-Factory #6, one even in
color, should the digital gods relent.

As for Tibet, I'm wondering if any folks around here have seen Ron
Silver's book of photographs of Tibet -- very gentle, beautiful,
inspiring, with a thoughtful and engaging text. Ron went MANY times to
Tibet, in the 1980s as I recall. His own philosophy and spirit were
intertwined with & inspired by that life. The project was homage &
observation, not oh look at the people in the funny robes.

(Ron, BTW, a Canadian, used to be on this list.)

Judy