Re: school ventilation

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/23/01-09:58:03 AM Z

Judy wrote:

> But has anyone contacted school president or provost? I'd bet your
> department heads have NOT told them how derelict they've been. Seems
> logical to go to them before outsiders -- tell them what you said today
> about the illness, lack of info, etc.,,,, and obviously MUCH better if you
> can get some other signatures. Call it a *petition.* That helps them read
> your handwriting.

This happened in the fall, under the leadership of one of the other
students, and she did go to a person higher up than the chairman of our
dept, I think the dean of the humanities college. This was what forced them
to put in the slot vent. Somebody said it was the fastest they'd ever seen
anything like that happen on our campus. Apparently there are a lot of
dangerous labs on our campus that have been waiting years to be fixed. (And
now may have to wait decades because of the flood.)

But the slot vent may be inadequate, and the color room, as I said, is still
not ventilated. The color processing machine is a source of a LOT of
pollution, and it drifts into other areas of the photo lab. The machine
really should be vented directly to the outside, but they say it's
impossible to retrofit it this way. But, when you go in the drug store or
Walmart to have your prints made, you never smell chemicals do you? Those
machines are correctly vented to the outside. (The issue of whether those
chemicals should simply be dumped into the air is another issue.)

So, although we did have a lot of signatures and we did go to higher-ups,
and we did get something done, it is still not enough and more agitation
and fussing is required. I guess this proves Mao's maxim of "continuous
revolution." Or Thomas Jefferson's idea that the tree of liberty must be
watered from time to time with the blood of tyrants.

> Meanwhile, I remember that in the first year or so of this list, someone
> from Canada posted the safety regulations and precautions of his school --
> extraordinary and exemplary... That's in the archive... I might recognize
> the name if someone said it -- and even if you don't want to transfer,
> would make an excellent document to give your school.

I gave them a similar document from the university of Florida.

thanks to all who contributed ideas toward solving this problem,

--shannon