school ventilation

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/22/01-02:22:59 PM Z

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Shannon Stoney wrote:
> Then at the University of Houston, our newly renovated art building and
> darkroom had its whole ventilation system cancelled, unbeknownst to anybody
> but the campus architect, during the renovation process, because the
> renovation was running over budget. So when we moved back in the fall, we
> didn't know that our darkrooms had no ventilation. So I got sick again,
> after having recovered from the Glassell School injury. So did some other
> students. Some retrofits have been made to one of the darkrooms (vent hoods
> over the trays), but the color processing room is still unventilated. Also
> the safety and security people will not tell us the number of air changes we
> are actually getting in the black and white darkroom, so I am skeptical.

If you want to make a so-to-speak stink about it you can get this
information.

> I am telling this whole story to warn other people about the hazards of
> public darkrooms where the ventilation is an unknown factor. I was *really*

CUT=========

We had a similar situation at my school for many years... After students &
faculty protested with increasing acrimony & hysteria, they brought in a
firm who ripped open the ceiling in relays for years and as far as we
could tell there STILL wasn't any air. Initially, we were given to
understand, there was a SPACE up there, but the supposed ventilation
system simply did not exist. (Rumor added that original contractor was
somebody's buddy, seems believable if not provable.)

However I add here one strategy I found VERY helpful, both at home and at
school -- that is, both the stop tray and the fixer tray are COVERED when
not actually in use. The difference this makes is remarkable. At home for
instance my darkroom has a very low ceiling (less than 6 feet) and, being
totally below grade, no possibility of outside ventilation. I found that
by keeping those trays covered -- even during agitation, just lift cover,
slide in film or paper, return cover & agitate -- 95% of the fumes are
eliminated, or at least reduced to below normal perception.

By experiment I found best cover was either a piece of heavy corrugated
cardboard which I covered with heavy plastic, or a piece of heavy plexi
which I hinged in middle & taped to support at rear of tray so it could
fold back & stay in place. Other figurations tended to curl or warp in
time, so didn't cover as well.

One gang darkroom where I taught a workshop smelled so strongly of fixer
and/or stop even with "ventilation" I installed covers, for a big
improvement. It might be added that ventilation is supposed to be at tray
level, the kind in the ceiling pulls the fumes up past your face.

I've also been in private darkrooms that stank, the photographer taking
the attitude that that's what darkrooms smell like, and/or REAL
photographers don't mind. This might not have such a dramatic result as
Shannon experienced, but effects over time can't be good.

Judy