Re: Book by Christopher James

From: George Huczek (ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca)
Date: 02/08/02-05:06:30 PM Z

At 03:57 PM 08/02/2002 -0500, Sandy King wrote:
The Book of Alternative Photographic
>Processes (or I would call it the book of *some* alternative
>photographic processes and lots of relatively unsharp images made
>with a plastic camera).

I'm glad that you are not the only one who found many of the images in the
book to be disappointing! I don't mind seeing nice work done using any
technique -- and there are a few nice pictures in the book made with
pinhole cameras and Holgas I will admit -- but I am of the opinion that it
would have been better to include more "straight" images. There are a
small number of nice ziatypes, but not enough balance showing good
photography. My bias is towards less experimental work that can be
understood by looking at it instead of by reading the caption which states
what the artist was trying to achieve.