Re: Oleobrom

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/10/02-01:53:08 PM Z

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002 DENNIS@klink47.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

And in the next issue of Post Factory there is an article on
> Olebrom by Joe Besse who is also a member of ISOB

Thanks...

Post-Factory #7, promised for Tuesday (though in this biz promises are
made to be broken) has got a *tutorial* on oleobrom by Joe Besse, with
step by step photos, et al, also shows some of his work (although hardly
doing it justice in repro). It also has a bit of a bio on Joe, who has
been known to sign his e-mails "the ragin' cajun oleobrom man."

Frankly, although I've told this list how impressed I was with Gene
Laughter's truly beautiful bromoils (seen in NYC last fall), this is the
first process I've never done that I've had a strong urge to try myself
.... and expect to. It's not that stabbing with the brush would be ALL
that much more difficult, but that the rolling seems an independent
process which will have a will of its own, I figure.

I also found the dismissal of oleobrom by Emil Mayer, et al, in some of my
old books very interesting. To account for the death and resurrection Joe
suggests that we have better rollers today, our aesthetic is different,
and a few other things I forget right now.

But finally, I'm moved to comment about these protests about "too much gum
detail." Guys, there never can be too much gum detail, & after all it's
such a MUCH broader subject than making ferric oxalate, about which in the
last week alone we had by actual count 538 emails of details. (Or I think
I missed a day, it was 785.) And not one single protest !

I couldn't absorb all those FO details finally. So I didn't read all. You
could easily do likewise on other info of both general and particular
interest forthcoming.

best,

Judy