Torinoko Gampi and Washing Question Pt/Pd.

From: Halvor (halvorb@mac.com)
Date: 07/01/02-08:17:35 AM Z

 Dear list....

Where to start..

I am mainly printing on Torinoko Gampi, have however discovered that there
is about 4 different papers with that name. Possibly by several different
makers. The name Torinoko (which from the sound only - means "bird child",
the spelling might give different result) is supposed to be the methode of
making the paper, and Gampi the material, ie a plant.

Now, Dick Arentz's book mention a 90 gsm TG paper, with "long swirling
fibers", here in Japan - Washi or "Japanese Paper" is not sold with weight
info, I have found one paper which matches that description, brownish, long
fibers (white) kind of hard sizing (easy to coat) addition of tween helps on
density...... anyway

The TG Paper I mainly am using can be caracterised as, bleached white,
probably about 200 gsm, front side smooth with fine very small "hairs",
backside have a regular pattern of lines vertical and horisontal (sort of
squarish), no visible fibers, weak sizing, The addition of 1 drop of 1 %
tween solution for a 4*5 size gives a 0.1 increase in dmax, anything
stronger is too strong. Max edge Density over base about 1.6 +/- (with Pd),

The main point is the print looks like it is done in ink. Very beautifull
quality of the edges. The surface fibres gives sort of a velvet impression,

now this same surface absorption qualities is due to rather veak glue - and
big fun in the washing. Particularily when trying to lift anything bigger
than an 8 * 10 size when wet. (Yes - change water, don't move the print,
that is at the moment not possible) After about 30 min in wet condition the
paper is soaked and starts swelling, close to dissolving, and occasionally
with small nice air bubbles inside the paper, I still have an aprx. 50 %
succsess rate on the prints and the result is "worth it". (I stupidly
belive).

Extra sizing ruins the aesthetics of the surface (should try a layer on the
backside maybe , but the backside is not the main problem.)

If I can keep the "wet" time under 30 min I avoid most of these problems !
It clears fine in EDTA in about 10 min.

My 5 recipies on Pt/Pd printing agrees on one point - 30 min washing time.
I assume this is for a "normally" glued / starched paper and (hope :) that
this might be different for this paper, the defraction rate (?) should be
better for a weak sized paper ?

Comments ? (I mean please help)

Or is this just wishfull thinking :)

Sorry if this got a bit long & messy, thick head after a day in the dark.

Halvor
Tokyo