Re: fractal

From: Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: 03/01/02-07:49:00 PM Z

>> Fractal geometry was developed to create topography of largely indefinable
>> mathematical shapes such as mountain crests or fern leaves. The well known
>> Mandelbrot sets emanate from this fractal formulae.
>
> Saw beautiful & fascinating abstractions in a science magazine some years
> ago, called fractals. Those are the relatives you speak of?

Sorry to answer late Judy. I've been photographing an historical site @ Lake
Tahoe for an environmental impact report etc.
I only write this off topic to tell all you folks that the lake, once called
lake of the sky for its purity and height and was once been known as the
flower of the Sierra . . . has been plucked.
Too many ski bums, bikini clad beauties, scrillionaires w/boat toys,
lumber(ing) interests, hikers, bikers, dogs, lousy building technique,
egregious and flagrant rude consumption and here, doggonit, we could
certainly argue the afore mentioned de gustibus non est disputandum . . . as
I remember my Latin, it says that, "from taste, it is not to be disputed" .
. or, there is not disputing tastes. Most of it there (Tahoe) is in bad
taste and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Think Boca Raton, err, Diablo.

Yes, the abstractions you mention may well be the fractal stuff. Oft
beautiful and oft linked to psychedelic over exercise. I believe Bryce, the
wonderful landscape program from Kai's Power Tools (originally) is a fractal
program.
 You can look up web sites containing many of these images. If you type in
the two mathematicians associated with the familiar repetitive imagery,
Julia and Mandelbrot, you will multiple sites explaining the mathematical
iteration and give you many examples.
Jack Fulton