Pictorico (& Epson & Mac)

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 03/06/02-11:47:07 AM Z

Apologies, Larry and guys, for piggybacking on this thread but I can't
find the older one that's more pertinent.

After swearing that I would not replace my Epson Photo EX with a printer
that would print better on Pictorico OHP, I changed my mind and spent
today researching and deciding on a replacement printer. But when I went
to order it, I found out that a person with a non-USB Mac is severely
restricted as to printer choices. The only Epsons that are compatible
with the Mac serial printer port are the 3000 and its nephew the 1520,
either of which would be a step down rather than a step up from the EX,
in my opinion (supported by careful consideration of the spec sheets
from the three printers).

My purpose here isn't to seek advice; I think I've pretty well covered
and exhausted the possible options, (one is to install a USB card but I
understand that can introduce other problems. One is NOT to buy a USB
Mac, partly because I don't believe in taking drugs simply to cure the
side effects of other drugs, but mostly because I have six SCSI
peripherals and so I'm wedded to SCSI for the duration) but to warn
others with "older" Macs (mine is a G3, which I don't consider ancient
by any means) what the situation is with regard to printers.
Katharine Thayer