Re: PS Re: Pictorico (& Epson & Mac)

From: Christine (acolyta@napc.com)
Date: 03/08/02-10:34:59 AM Z

That may be your opinion, which I will respect. But I believe you are being
unjust in strictly categorizing things this way.

An artist is a person who makes things. A computer is a tool, just like a
camera, a paintbrush, a potter's wheel, a lithographer's plate. It is a means
to an end. It is entirely possible to be an artist that uses a computer. It
takes great talent to use photoshop well, I mean really well. Take a look at:

http://www.darrenwestlund.com/PersonalS.html

Or how about our own Dan?

http://www.danburkholder.com/

Is he not an artist?

A photographer is a person that takes photographs. How he makes that
photograph should not be the value used to judge his merits as a photographer -
it should be the excellence of the photograph. And we all know that can be
subjective. I will be the first to admit there is plenty of bad
computer-generated photography out there. But there is plenty of good stuff,
too. I like to remain open-minded, and believe that good art can be made with
paint, clay, metal, film, video, fabrics, trash, dirt, paper, chemicals, sound,
smell, and yes, even computers.

Our list members may have questions arise that could never be answered on some
computer list, because our needs are so specific. I doubt there are many
others out there looking for the best way to make digital negatives for
Platinum/Palladium prints.

</soapbox>

Best Regards,
Christine

--
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.
It is the source of all true art and science.  He to whom this