Re: The future of the handmade print?

lrryr@attbi.com
Date: 03/08/02-01:45:06 PM Z

This has been in my thoughts quite a bit lately. I'm
currently participating in an 11x14" inkjet quadtone
printswap, each of 15 participant rip off 15 prints and
send them to a volunteer, he/she repackages them as
groups of 15 different prints and sends them back. This
time I've been blown away, some truely stunning prints.
The choices and quality available for black and white
quadtone inkjet printing has gotten outstanding. They
are different from b&w silver prints and have their own
aesthetic, but there are a few dead ringers for platinum
that would have to make you wonder. Anybody in the
Boulder CO area that would like to see them let me know.

So why mess with inkjet negatives in the first place?
For me I like the hand pulled processes (doing it) and I
find the uniqueness of each print an attractive
attribute, it gives value to the print as an object as
well as a 'holder' of an image. Also the happy accidents
that occur sometimes with a process not quite in control
can bring great pleasure for me. At the same time I'll
never give up photoshop, you'll have to pry it from my
cold-dead fingers.

But damned, these quadtones are sooo nice.

Larry