Re: GUM - STARCH - ?????

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 11/14/02-03:22:42 PM Z

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Clay Harmon wrote:

> ...... I too was looking
> for something 'easier' than gelatin, and tried PVA, acrylic and some
> other 'packaged' solutions. None worked as well as gelatin, and I have
> found that real gelatin is just not that hard to manage, once you do it
> a few times. I mix up quantities as small as 125ml, coat a few sheets
> and then toss it. I use the 'Livick' one step sizing formula with
> glyoxal and it seems to work just fine. I'm not trying to convince you
> one way or the other, but just propose a possible reason for the lack
> of responses.

I second Clay's comments & add a few... No I will NOT say the obvious,
that if you're looking for easy try inkjet print. That's a cheap crack (&
who said inkjet is so easy?).. I was trying to not sneer at "spray
starch." I mean what they put on shirt fronts?

That smells (literally, has perfume) plus the manufacturer puts god knows
what in it -- NOT something you want in your precious art work, AND the
next time you buy it the stuff will be completely different ("new,
improved"), not to mention that how do we know what brand you're buying?
They're bound to be different from one another. Then the fact is that
whatever they have in them is guaranteed to discolor your paper base in 5
to 10 years. True, that might improve some gums, but judging by the fuss
they make around here about "clearing" of emulsions, that might not please
everyone.

As to whether or not this or *any* form of starch has to be recoated
between layers... that is one of the great unanswered questions of the
universe. It's been asked on this list since the beginning and not
answered yet beyond your guess is as good as mine.

I don't recall Livick's technique, & disagree with so much that he says it
wouldn't matter. Clay doesn't say whether he's brushing it on or not, tho
I imagine with 125 ml it would be a bit tough to dip. But brushing is
actually no more trouble than coating with anything else,from acrylic to
chicken soup.

Some folks say brush gelatin doesn't last as well, which seems possible
because it hasn't soaked in as much. My other problem with it is that with
many/most papers, gelatin on just one side makes the paper curl... ie.,
harder to handle & reregister.

Judy