Re: Integrator Problem

jeffbuck@swcp.com
Date: 11/27/02-11:11:11 AM Z

Yes, there's the equivalent of "waterhouse stops," but even at the most
restrictive "stop," I'm still getting something like ten times more light than
the probe wants to deal with, that is, the longest measurement the machine can
calibrate for is about a minute and a half (at the smallest stop, the read-out
runs all the way from 00.0 back to 00.0 in about a minute and a half). The
instructions speak of a little damping disk one can place over the sensor cell
cavity inside the probe to adjust for very bright light sources, but I don't
appear to have this item (inside the probe housing -- the probe's about the
size of a wrist-watch -- you see the little sensor apparatus, topped w/ an
off-white plastic disk a few centimeters across; you're supposed to place the
damper over this). I wonder how it would be to cut a little disk of rubylith
and place it over the sensor disk? This would mask the spectrum very unevenly
(the lamp is rated at 5200K), but do you agree with me that that should not
matter as long as the uneven-ness is consistent? I mean, pt/pd does not
respond to red light, but presumably the sensor cell of this integrator does.
I'm gonna try this unless you or someone figures it's an essentially stupid
idea.... Happy Thanksgiving to the List! -JB