Re: Infrared Previewer

From: S Wang (stwang@direcTVinternet.com)
Date: 11/28/02-12:46:08 PM Z

John,

Yes, an 87 filter over anything "night vision" can give you good
infrared images, or previews if you prefer, including most Sony
camcorders and the Sony 707, 717 digital cameras.

To make an IR meter is very simple: put the same 87 filter over a
cheap $2 photo cell. I would also cut a pingpong ball in half to
cover the cell, to make it an incident meter. Connect it to a
multi-tester. Go shoot a roll of IR and note the readings on the
multitester. Process film and use the negatives to calibrate your
unit.

By the way, you can spend a lot of money on IR filters, but 3" Lee 87
filter is just $12 from B&H.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Sam Wang