Re: news article concerning photographing in public spaces

From: Bill Finger (finger0101@hotmail.com)
Date: 09/20/02-12:48:06 PM Z

>From: Joe <jtait@texas.net>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: Re: news article concerning photographing in public spaces
>Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 01:04:57 -0500
>
>Jack Fulton wrote:
>
>>Here is a quote from Julius Caesar to think about.
>>
>>"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order
>>to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for
>>patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both
>>emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And
>>when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and
>>the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the
>>leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the
>>citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and
>>blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their
>>rights unto the leader and gladly so.
>>How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am
>>Caesar."
>>

>I think continual criticism and dissent in this vein is more than needed in
>American culture, especially considering the potential of an Iraqi war, and
>moving towards even more restrictions on personal liberties and freedom in
>general (I worry more about the Patriot Act than taking pictures of New
>York tunnels).
>
>However, I see myself getting more and more aggravated at seeing people
>magnifying the state of affairs WAY BEYOND the proportions of reality;
>generally coming from progressives and the "left". I don't presume to know
>Jack's politics, or anyone elses on the list, but I think it would be fair
>to say that many here would fall within the generalization of progressive.
>
>Having said that, for whatever reason :) , I feel the need to say that the
>general tone out there in progressive circles is ridiculous. I have to
>believe that there would be NO SITUATION in which progressives would
>publicly concede that ANY American policy is a reasonable one in the face
>of what amounts to incredibly grueling decisions that someone has to make
>(not applauding on Bush admin policy here). This world is SO complicated
>and I feel more and more disallusioned with anything but pragmatic politics
>and at 23 years old have abandoned any notion of idealism. Its not a
>romantic place to be, or one that allows me to separate myself from this
>corrupt world; but at least I am dealing with the possible and the here-now
>where actual change happens. People seem so ready to simply point fingers
>and congratulate themselves on the moral stances they take on issues, and
>they continue to remain on the outside where its easy to do so.
>
>I say this mostly to vent and am not targeting Jack's or anybody's comments
>here, but I continue to struggle trying to figure out how best to approach
>to this world and remain human.
>
>-Joe

Jack is just pointing out that we are preparing to engage in a war for
purely political reasons. Karl Rove spelled it all out in a speech back in
January. He pointed out that it was the only way for the Republicans to win
the Nov. elections.
The Dog is Wagging big time. You are right it is a corrupt world and you
can't get more corrupt than that.
Pardon me for a brief vent myself.
-Bill