Heat is Neat

From: Jeff Buck (jeffbuck@swcp.com)
Date: 09/26/02-03:40:24 PM Z

Hello List

I gotta rig my work area for the winter soon. It's unheated at present. I
live in the middle of New Mexico at ~5000 feet. It is very dry in the cool
half of the year. Pretty cold, though.

I work in a well-insulated garage. It's 18x20 but the part that needs to
be heated is more like 18x12 (one end being cut off more or less by a
canvas tarp).

I'm not too excited about any kind of forced-air heating. The units are
very expensive, they raise dust, and they dry the already dry air. Also,
they chew a lot of amps, and I'm sucking plenty in the area as it is -- two
lines filled pretty close to the brim (1000W halide lamp, swamp cooler,
ceiling exhaust fan, any number of room lights, hair dryer, microwave, etc.
etc.).

It's a small enough space that I can supply plenty of humidity w/ room
humidifiers of any of several kinds.

Suggestions? Bad experiences? What about pellet stoves? Just plain wood
stoves? Radiant heating units?

-jeff buckels