Homemade vacuum frame (was: contact printing frames)

From: Dave Rose (cactuscowboy@bresnan.net)
Date: 07/08/03-08:08:47 AM Z

My vacuum frame was constructed using a 20x24" sheet of 3/4" plywood with a
matching piece of pegboard laminated to it. I used a router to cut a series
of shallow interconnecting grooves (air channels) into the plywood prior to
glueing the pegboard on. The grooves lie directly underneath the holes in
the pegboard. A tube glued into the edge of the plywood intersects the air
channel, providing an easy way to attach a vacuum. I used thick
construction adhesive (available in a tube and applied with a caulking gun)
to ensure a tight seal between pegboard and plywood. The pegboard was
sanded smooth and painted flat black. A 20x24" sheet of polyester is taped
to one edge of the frame. To use, I lift up the polyester, place the
neg/paper underneath and turn on the vacuum. Within seconds, the polyester
is pulled tight against the pegboard, providing intimate contact between
negative and paper.

The vacuum frame is hinged onto the edge of a wooden box that contains a
bank of UV fluorescent lights. The exposure unit is bolted vertically onto
a wall in a position that's very convenient for loading and use, without
taking up valuable counter space.

I haven't had problems with the pegboard holes being too large. An insert
of stiff, open-cell foam might be a good alternative to using pegboard. If
you think about it, there are many different ways to construct a vacuum
frame. All it takes is a good design and skill using power tools.

The question of whether the polyester overlay degrades image quality has
come up in the past. It does not. I'm using "Kleerbase", a product
marketed to the graphic arts industry.

Best regards,
Dave Rose
Big Wonderful Wyoming