Re: Dektol

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 10/03/03-04:57:25 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "henk thijs" <henk.thijs@hetnet.nl>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 2:02 AM
Subject: Dektol

> Hello,
> Last time I bought Dektol 'they' told me that the 5 ltr
tinboxes are
> out. Kodak just sells packages for 1 ltr. So far so good,
but I have
> the impression that something is changed. With the old
Dektol I could
> use it for some time, now the solution is unusable after a
few days,
> same strength etc.
> What would be an alternative for lith-film developing (if
I want to
> use something ready brewed)
> Thanks,
> Henk
> --
> Henk Thijs
> member F68 photography : http://www.f68.nl
> webmaster : http://www.luca-antiek.nl

  I don't think Dektol has changed. Its life in an uncovered
tray is only about 24 hours.
  Most print developers are about the same. Ilford Bromophen
is similar to Dektol but uses Phenidone rather than Metol.
It has a somewhat greater capacity but I don't think its
life in an unprotected tray is any greater.
  Agfa also makes several good paper developers in liquid
concentrate form and as prepared powder. Neutol Plus is a
Phenidone-Ascorbic Acid developer, I think the only ascorbic
acid paper developer on the market. I would think that Agfa
products should be redily available in the Netherlands.

  When you open the packages of Dektol the powder should be
white. Any brown is a sign of oxidation. The undiluted stock
solution is light straw colored. If its any stronger yellow
or if its brown that is also a sign of oxidation.
  When mixing developers its a good idea to use water which
has been boiled and allowed to cool. This drives off
dissolved air as well as removing some of the mineral
content.

  When mixing be sure not to beat air into the solution. It
should be stirred just enough to keep the particals in
suspension until the dissolve.
  The less oxygen in the water to begin with the less the
sulfite has to scavenge, this will help maximise the shelf
life of the soluton.

  In general, highly alkaline developers have shorter lives
than lower alkaline ones. A developer like D-8, a hydroxide
lith developer, has a tray life of only about 4 hours and a
shelf life of about 2 months in a filled bottle.
D-72/Dektol, about 24 hours in a tray or 6 months in a
closed, filled bottle.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA