Re: Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL. . . ?

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@mindspring.com)
Date: 09/04/03-11:44:56 AM Z

Gordon,

I wonder if its possible to make a scanner use a larger transparency
adapter than the manufacturer intended.

The adapter merely provides a different (transmitted) light source rather
than the scanners internal source for reflected light.

I meant to say this approach will not work on the Epson 2450 or 3200 when used in transparrency mode. Some flatbed scanners have been made to work by placing a pyramid shapped reflector over the negative which allows the scanning light source reflect through the film and be captured by the scanning CCD. The scanner thinks that it is doing a reflected scan. I've not tried it on large negatives as I don't think the illumination will be even enough but you could experiment and see. I used to have a URL that described this method but I don't have it any longer. It does work so - so for small negs.

Don Bryant