Re: Copyright

From: Kent Gibbs (kent_gibbs@yahoo.com)
Date: 09/25/03-07:09:02 PM Z

 I'm sorry but I have to wade in here. Is this list a closed list? Do
we have secret knowledge that no one else is privileged too? Did we
all develop and/or create the processes we use? No?

 Maybe I'm wrong but I suspect that we all have learned and are
learning (and using) techniques that we did not discover ourselves. So
what makes anybody on this list think that the knowledge of these
historic processes are propriety? The very fact that we discuss these
processes would be a violation of intellectual property, if this were
to be taken to it's illogical conclusion.

 Now don't get me wrong. I hate piracy and pirates. But if or until
each of us develops our own unique and original technique for affixing
an image permanently onto a supporting medium, we are plagiarizing
knowledge that we learned from another source. And we ought to be
drawn and quartered if we make any money at it.

 I applaud anything that will create interest in these processes so
that hopefully, my grandchildren and great grandchildren will
appreciate what went into creating the first photographic images.

My .02