Re: Vandyke brown

From: Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Date: 09/26/03-04:58:00 PM Z

Hello Sandy, My experience with VDB is limited. I got started on
Kalli/VDB/Silver when I wanted 11x14 and 16x20 cloth prints. Platinum
(Palladium) was simply too $$. On cloth VDB gave me a significantly
lower Dmax (visually) so it was discarded as an option for THIS project.
I've since done some work with Kalli on paper, as I had all the
chemicals for Kalli I didn't retest with VDB on paper.

After I wrote about my Epson 1200 and "darn good inks", I've had a
terrible day. Everything looked too dark and flat. Should have guessed
earlier, my last batch of ink came in "new packaging". I worried about
that, but printed a few photos on regular paper and the colors were
fine...... However they don't make the same neg in UV light!

I've wasted a fair bit of $$ Pictorico and will have to redo a few
curves :-(

I wish people would stop changing my materials!

On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 03:15 PM, Sandy King wrote:

> Tom,
>
> I know that you have worked with both regular kallitype as well as VDB
> and I would like your thoughts on the following.
>
> VDB is somewhat less complicated than kallitype based on ferric oxalate
> and I have made a lot of effort to try to get as much out of it as I
> can. However, as much as I have tried I have been unable to get as much
> richness, or Dmax, with VDB as I can get from ferric oxalate kallitype.
> The difference is not great, say a Dmax of about 1.5 with FO kallitype,
> as opposed to a Dmax of about 1.42 with VDB, but the difference is very
> obvious to me visually.
>
> Would appreciate your comments on this.
>
> Sandy

Tom Ferguson