Re: Charcoal Prints?Thanks to your spouse.

From: Grafist@aol.com
Date: 03/07/04-08:37:33 AM Z

In a message dated 07/03/04 03:44:06 GMT Standard Time, jstrain@iquest.net
writes:

> I went to a gallery today in Chicago (not Catherine Edelman's gallery where
> there are some photogravures) and saw some "charcoal" prints. They were
> somehow related in the writings sitting around to Fressons. Since my
spouse
> liked them, I thought I should find out the process. Anyone have any
> exprience or know what it is? Is it carbon printing? TIA. Jim
 Hi Jim and all,
>I went to a gallery today in Chicago and saw some "charcoal" prints....

       I am in London, England so please give us the name of the gallery so I
could contact them for more detail ...some ''charcoal'' prints. Altho this
is somewhat vague the photographer who refers to his work in this way is John
Stuart. Was this in the literature in connection with Fresson? Stuart does
have his work printed by the Fressons.

>Since my spouse liked them, I thought I should find out the process.

I think your spouse has very good taste and a perceptive eye and it is
understanding that you should try to get more info. on the process.

>Anyone have any exprience or know what it is? Is it carbon printing? TIA.
Jim

       Please excuse what might appear to be a little dogmatic but I have
been researching this ''charcoal'' process for more than twelve years and am now
in a position, after doing extensive tests with Direct Carbon, to indulge in
some shameless self promotion as seems to be accepted here on this list, of
late.

>is it carbon printing?

  No! It is not Carbon Transfer as has widely been described and promoted,
recently on this list. Carbon Transfer paper cannot be used to make "charcoal"
prints.

  ''Charcoal'' is Direct Carbon. I have renamed my system I .C. I.
(Interface Carbon Imbibition) as this briefly, theoretically, decribes the process
which I have developed based on some obscure and little known info. gathered
over the years. However, my own research deviated considerably from that which I
found published and includes truly inovative photographic technology. The
coated paper which I am making gives a range of tones from very deep carbon black
to pure white and is processed (developed) in exactly the way as descibed in
the often published ''Fresson'' system shortly, hopefully, to be mentioned,
yet again, in Post Factory # 9 magazine edited by Judy Seigel of this list.
              I am sorry that I cannot be more explicit, here. But if you ,
or anyone, would care to contact me OFF LIST maybe we can do some business.
                              Happy hunting. John Grocott- Photographist