Re: Sodium Bisulfite

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 10/07/04-03:42:19 AM Z

Giovanni Di Mase wrote:

> There is also sodium sulfite that works as sodium bisulfite according to
> James book.
> But I was told that the sulfite does not create the solution acid and
> therefore the cromium component becomes insoluble cromium.
> What does this mean in terms of stains I don't know.
> Can anybody help?

Giovanni,
I'd say, given the contradictory information you've been given, that the
best way to find out how sulfite compares to the others is to try it
yourself, side by side with sodium bisulfite or potassium metabisulfite,
and see what happens. I don't agree with many things James says, but it
seems curious that Photographers' Formulary would be suggesting sodium
sulfite for this purpose, as I think was mentioned sometime earlier in
this discussion, if it didn't work for this purpose.
Katharine Thayer