OT, was (Re: Kodak B&W Paper Discontinued? Good Ridence.)

From: Dave Rose ^lt;cactuscowboy@bresnan.net>
Date: 07/12/05-08:45:44 PM Z

Dear Susan,

This kind of political commentary is off topic but not unexpected for this
list. I've endured so much far left liberal nonsense on alt-photo-process.
What about alternative photography attracts such wacky thinking individuals?
I must respond.

What evidence do you offer to support your statement that "Capitalism does
not work for poeple nor for the environment!" ???

Here in the United States, stronghold of capitalism, we have some of the
strictest laws protecting the environment. Not perfect and there's always
room for improvement, but it's a damn sight better than most countries. I'd
argue that capitalism most definitely "works" for the people. We're blessed
with a very high standard of living, great wealth, a productive and robust
economy and possibly the best personal rights and freedoms available
anywhere.

If capitalism doesn't work (as you assert), then lets look at Cuba, North
Korea, the former Soviet Union, etc..... How many people are starving in
North Korea? Are you aware of the environmental disasters in the former
Soviet Union? I'll take capitalism anyday.

What kind of work do you do Susan? I've been involved in sales for the past
16 years. My career has been financially rewarding, but more importantly,
I've helped many small business owners grow their businesses. That's led to
more people being hired, more people living the American dream, providing a
good life for themselves and their families. Capitalism is great! It's not
perfect, but what in this life is? It beats the hell out of starving in
North Korea or living under the thumb of a tyrant in Cuba.

As for Kodak discontinuing B&W paper, it's a wise and prudent business
decision. Kodak needs to either remain profitable, or face financial ruin.
Not to worry, if there's sufficient demand, a small manufacturer will step
in and capture the market that Kodak has abandoned.

There is no "slide of big business", the very nature of capitalism ensures
that that won't happen. IMO, you're indulging in a fantasy.

Dave Rose
Powell, Wyoming