Re: Comments please?

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 07/22/05-02:20:59 AM Z

Kate M wrote:

> Hi Katherine, thanks for the feedback. These are part of my master's
> work (ongoing). Yes, perhaps the 1/2 should read 1 of 2.

That part I understood, but I was having trouble reconciling 1/2 with
"Unique state print."

This is a way
> the Aussies have of categorising prints that have no exact duplicates,
> but are part of a quasi-edition. Good, not good????

Interesting. I wouldn't say good or not good, since I'm not real up on
numbering editions, but thanks for clarification.

> I'd like to see yours when you have it scanned.

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/untitled.html

See, totally different effect. It just occurred to me that what I'm
really after here is an overall stain over the image; maybe what I
should be working toward is pigment stain rather than printed tone. I'm
trying to achieve a look that harkens back to a certain kind of
pictorialist look, and I think actually a lot of pictorialist work owes
its charm to pigment stain. At any rate I had to make three negatives
before I got one thin enough to allow the depth of tone I wanted on the
highlights, so there are a lot of layers underneath where the highlights
came out too light. It always amazes me how many different ways there
are to get to a particular effect in gum.

Katharine