RE: argyrotype paper

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 07/24/05-09:29:00 PM Z

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, Don Bryant wrote:
> The heavier papers will delaminate and bubble when wet for lengthy periods
> that one normally has processing and washing prints. Avoid anything heavier
> than 90lb. I discovered this the hard way.

In my experience, papers that "delaminate and bubble" are more than 1 ply,
which is what makes them heavier. For instance it seems that Rising
stopped making their 1-ply Bristol, which some printers swore by for cyano
(I think John Dugdale used to use it), now only making 2-ply, which will
separate in the wash water. They did this in the nasty capitalist manner
(I was told) because the market for 1-ply was too small, possibly because
everyone was using Cranes?

I seem to remember one printer saying she separated it in advance by
soaking, then printing on the outer side, tho it's probably easier to buy
Crane's.

Judy