[OT] = *O*T* Flames and such

From: kris ^lt;kris@eq-photo.com>
Date: 03/13/05-08:46:42 AM Z

well put, Eric;
there's a certain amount of ethnocentrism (and very often egocentrism)
involved whenever any of us opens our mouth: we assume that what we say
will be *perfectly* and *clearly* understood by others (or at least will
be taken in the way we want it to be).

with listservs (and really any written email), the very fact that we're
*not* opening our mouth(s) adds further confusion to the mix; meaning
from written language can mutate quite rapidly from sender to receiver.

that said, Eric's call for restraint is very appropriate (and much
appreciated).

name-calling and other knee-jerk reactions tend to quickly dehumanize
the people to whom we are responding (e.g. s/he is no longer a
contributor, but a sexist, racist, etc. etc.; insensitive for referring
to a transsexual former list-member "insensitively")... so rather than
make these personality characteristics known to the list, perhaps a bit
of restraint would be best in handling them OFF list.

that's my first and last (2) cents on the matter. if anyone takes issue
with what i have said, please feel free to respond

OFF LIST!

i suggest all such similar matters be taken offlist as well

kris
kris@eq-photo.com