Re: Gum over Palladium

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 10/26/05-03:46:59 AM Z

Hello Cor,
If you use a transparent pigment, then follow Loris' instructions -- a
light pigment mix, more exposure, enough dichromate to keep the contrast
reasonable (not too high)-- you should be able to get the result you
want without having to create special masks or tediously brushing gum
off shadow areas during development. A transparent pigment shouldn't
show over the dark areas. There's an example of what I'm talking about
(in tricolor gum rather than gum over palladium, but I assume it
operates similarly) here:

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/

I printed a layer of strong transparent yellow over the entire print,
after printing the initial three color layers, to correct the color
balance; you can see that the yellow simply doesn't show over the darks,
since it is a transparent pigment. The advantage of doing it this way is
that when you're done you'll have a uniform surface look over the entire
print, depending on whether that's what you want, of course. And it's
easier than the other suggestions. If I knew what color you're aiming
for, I may be able to suggest a transparent pigment, if you don't
already have one in mind.
Katharine