Re: Combo Prints

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 02/05/06-05:11:35 PM Z

Dan,
Yup, I am almost positive it is you first for the ink jet/platinum combo.
Ron Reeder's article, whom I quote too, is from 2004. If someone else knows
of someone earlier than Dan, please chime in by tomorrow AM when my book
goes to print :)

Mark, gum over platinum has been around since early 1900's, Platinum over
gum I first read about with Terry's article, but it easily may have been
done "back in the day"--have to check the British Journal of Photography to
find that bit of info out. Terry's article dates from 2004.

It is easier to figure out who did pt/pd over ink jet because we haven't had
archival inks for too long...and it would have to be a digital kinda guy and
an alt process kinda guy to come up with that combo, much more easily
traceable these days, what with stuff googleable and such. Frankly i never
would've thought to combine those two.

Firsts are somewhat odious--but it is important to give credit where credit
is due when a particular process is unique.

I personally love printing a layer of cyano OVER gum--it kind of beads a bit
on the slick surface and give a funky look. I certainly can't give myself
credit for that because it has been done long before I would think. But
platinum over ink jet? Who woulda thunk.
chris